Complete IIT AIEEE ICSE ISC PMT help forum
This is a free help Forum for Indian Students.
Complete IIT AIEEE ICSE ISC PMT help forum

Complete help forum for students preparing for icse iit aieee cbse pmt and other related exams.Stay updated about all 2011 exams.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  India NewsIndia News  
Keywords
CLASS RESULT 2010 YEAR
Latest topics
Top posters
abhas

Anu..i luv icse...:)

G-7

siya

Candy

jOhNy

Apurva

WinRrule

ambili

saif

Search if you can't find it here

THE LISTENERS

View previous topic View next topic Go down
AuthorMessage
ZOGA27JUNE

PostSubject: THE LISTENERS Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:08 pm

A bird flew up out of the turret,
Above the Traveller's head:
And he smote upon the door again a second time;
'Is there anybody there?' he said.
But no one descended to the Traveller;
No head from the leaf-fringed sill
Lean'd over and looked into his grey eyes,
Where he stood perplex'd ad still.

i) Why did the traveller smite upon the door the second time?Explain. (3)

ii) What was the response to the traveller's call? (3)

iii) How did the traveller feel after getting no response from inside the house? (3)

iv) What type of atmosphere does the poet build up in this extract? (3)

v) Who were 'the listeners'?Where did they stand?What message did the traveller leave? (4)

Question Question Question Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShriyaOberoy

PostSubject: Re: THE LISTENERS Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:56 pm

i) The traveller wanted to meet someone in the house. Thus, he knocked in the first place. But when he received no reply, he hit the door a second time, thinking that whoever was inside the house must have gone to sleep during the night, and must not have heard the traveller knocking as he was in deep sleep.Thus, to make the people in the house aware that he is there to meet them, the traveller knocked a second time.

ii)There was absolutely no response to the traveller's call.Only a few phantom listeners stood silently on the moonlit staircase aware of the air disturbed by his voice.

iii)The traveller felt the strange presence of the phantoms in his heart and wished to go away from the spooky place.

iv)The poet masterfully weaves an eerie and sppoky atmosphere. We too feel that the house is haunted by some phantoms.

v)The listeners were the phantoms standing on the moonlit staircase inside the house.The traveller left a mysterious message-"Tell them I came, and no one answered,
That i kept my word"
Back to top Go down
View user profile

THE LISTENERS

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Complete IIT AIEEE ICSE ISC PMT help forum :: English :: Whispers of immortality Question answers-